Frequently Asked Questions for RW Bell Building Services:


What geographical areas do you cover?
We cover Perthshire, Fife, Strathspey, Aviemore, Nairn and the Inverness areas predominantly but can travel across Scotland or further afield depending on the nature of job.

What are your opening hours?
The office is open 8am-5pm Monday to Friday. Our Tradesmen working hours are 8am-4.30pm Monday to Friday.

Do you have an emergency 24/7 call out service?
Yes, we operate an out of hours emergency call out service for Electrical & Plumbing emergencies – please call 01796 472263 to obtain the phone number for our 'on-call' operative - these mobile numbers change weekly, so please call the landline to obtain the correct number.

Are you recruiting?
We are always keen to hear from fully qualified engineers who would like to be a part of our team. Send CVs and covering letters to or apply online on our recruitment page where any current vacancies are advertised. We always advertise vacancies on our social media pages too, so give us a follow.

When can I apply for an apprenticeship?
We normally suggest applicants start applying after the Christmas holidays, with a view to beginning in May/June. Send in a CV and covering letter to – please specify what trade you are looking to do your apprenticeship in. Please note that apprenticeships are normally only offered to persons aged 16-19 due to funding guidelines. We always advertise vacancies on our social media pages too, so give us a follow.

Can you provide a Quotation and how much does it cost?
We are happy to provide free no obligation quotation for most of our works. We can do this in writing or via email, we may however require to visit your premises to look over exactly what the job entails prior to compiling a quotation.

We are sometimes requested to provide a quotation for ‘fault finding’ works such as finding a leak or tracing an electrical problem. This can be difficult to quote as it can be hard to estimate how long it may take or how much work is required to find and rectify certain faults. If you have any concerns please speak to a member of staff who can advise you.

Who do you do work for?
We carry out work for domestic, commercial and industrial customers. Varying from homeowners, landlords, retail premises, restaurants, hotels, schools, main contractors, commercial and industrial premises.

How quickly can you attend a job?
Depending on the job we normally schedule a suitable time agreed in advance once we have received your initial enquiry. In the case of emergencies we arrange for one of our engineers to attend as soon as we can.

What are your costs?
We offer competitive rates whilst ensuring that we provide excellent customer service from all members of our team. Prices vary depending on the works carried out, however we are happy to provide a quotation free of charge. We have fixed costs for boiler servicing, please call the office to obtain these.

How can I pay an invoice?
We accept a variety of payment methods. You can pay by cheque, BACS, cash or credit/debit card. You are welcome to come into our office or alternatively invoices can be paid over the phone. *Please note Company credit card payments may incur a 2.5% handling charge*

Will I have to wait in all day for an engineer to attend?
Our engineers usually call you and have a prearranged date and time with yourself before coming to your premises to allow you the freedom to carry out other daily activities. Due to circumstances sometimes we are unable to always be specific and you may be allocated an AM/PM slot or if we have a cancellation we may call you on the day. We try our absolute best to keep your inconvenience to a minimum.

Are your staff trained?
Yes, all our staff are fully qualified tradesmen in their respective fields. All staff members attend in house training courses regularly, and health and safety is continually assessed.

Do you have insurances?
Yes, we have £10,000,000 Employers Liability Insurance, £5,000,000 Public/Products Liability Insurance as well as having Contractors All Risk Insurance & Professional Indemnity.

Can I give feedback on your service?
We are always interested to get feedback from our customers to ensure we continue to provide the highest quality customer service. Please feel free to review us on google, or drop us an email if you would like to discuss anything in detail.

My job requires Electricians, Joiners, Plumbers, Plasterers etc. Can you do all of that?
Yes, we have a number of trades at RW Bell which enable us to provide all the services required for your project. Our in-house trades include the following: Electricians, Joiners, Builders, Plumbers, TV Engineer & painters. Should we be unable to provide an ‘in-house’ service, we can arrange for this on your behalf with trusted contacts with whom we have long lasting working relationships with.

What do you do with rubbish?
All rubbish and leftover materials are removed from site by our staff, for larger jobs a skip may be required. All rubbish is disposed of responsibly. At our main office we also have a recycling policy. We always ensure we carry out good housekeeping practices in all premises and adhere to our company environmental policy for all work undertaken.


How frequently should I get my electrics tested?
If you are the homeowner and it is not a rental property it is suggested every 10 years, however if you have any concerns seek professional advice.

I am a Landlord / own a Holiday let how often should I get my electrics tested?
Landlords or Holiday Home owners are required to get properties electrics tested every 5 years as standard. Landlords are also required to conduct an EICR at the beginning of a new tenancy in line with current government regulations.

I am a Landlord how many smoke alarms do I need?
Landlords are required to put a smoke detector on every storey and principal habitable room (i.e. kitchen and living room) of a rental property. A CO detector is required in any room where there is a working fireplace or solid fuel appliance.

What is PAT testing, and do I need to do it?
PAT testing stands for Portable Appliance Testing it refers to anything electrical in your property which can be unplugged and moved. Eg. Fridge, hair dryer, printer, phone charger, juicer etc. It is suggested that PAT testing is carried out annually in all work places, holiday lets, residential lets, hotels, etc.

What is the difference between an Electrical Installation Certificate and an Electrical Installation Condition Report?

  • An Electrical Installation Certificate is carried out for all new installations or an alteration or additions to an existing electrical installation.
  • An Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) is a report on the current condition of your fixed electrical installation as compared to the current IEE Wiring Regulations.

How many Sockets are required in a bedroom of an HMO property?
A standard bedroom should have a minimum of 3 sockets, although we would always suggest that the 3 sockets should be fitted as twin, giving the user more flexibility and preventing the likelihood of using dangerous extensions. In other parts of the house, socket numbers can vary depending on room size and function. If you have any further questions contact us.

Do I need to use RCD protection on any of my circuits?
Yes, under BS7671 IEE Wiring Regulations all circuits are recommended to be protected by a 30mA RCD in most domestic situations. Please contact us if you require any further information.

Do I require Emergency Lighting?
The simple answer if you have a commercial or industrial property, then yes. BS 5266 enforces the provision of emergency lighting for public buildings such as: Leisure centres, Theatres, Cinemas, Nightclubs/Pubs, Hotels/Restaurants, Retail stores There is also a legal requirement that every workplace should have suitable and sufficient emergency lighting and that suitable and sufficient emergency lighting shall be provided and maintained in any room in which persons at work are specifically exposed to danger in the event of failure of artificial lighting.

Why is it important to maintain power and wiring devices within a property?
It is important to be compliant with health and safety regulations and make sure that any wiring or power device within a property meets with the most current regulations. By maintaining wiring, distribution boards etc. it also ensures peace of mind. By checking and maintaining power systems within our property we reduce the risk of overloading devices, fire risks, making sure wiring is safe and no items are obsolete or pose any risk.

What is an RCD and what are the benefits?
An RCD is a Residual Current Device, designed to protect against electrocution and electrical fires by cutting off the supply of power when it senses a leakage of an electrical current from a circuit. An RCD monitors electric currents in one or more circuits or in an individual item by monitoring the live and neutral wires. These two wires normally have an equal value but if a fault occurs and the electricity it is monitoring changes to a different path this would trigger the RCD to switch off the electricity automatically. For example, cutting through a cable with a power tool, providing the power tool was plugged into a socket or a circuit which was RCD protected the power would switch off and eliminate the chances of injury from electrocution. RCD protection also offer protection against electrical fires.

Where can you have RCD protection?
The main form of RCD protection is in your consumer unit. The number of circuits being protected can vary and be altered to suit your needs when an installation is being carried out.


How do I get an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?
We can either suggest the right people for you to get in touch with to carry out an EPC at your home, alternatively we can contact them on your behalf to help arrange this.


I have a broken window / smashed glass can you fix this?
We can board up broken windows and also supply and fit replacement glass to ensure your property is kept secure.

I suspect there may be asbestos, what should I do?
If you suspect there may be asbestos present, it is strongly suggested that you have a suitably trained person carry out a survey of the premises. If you are planning any work to be done in your property such as wiring or installing pipework an asbestos survey should be carried out prior to works commencing. The severity of the asbestos will influence what action is required. If it is damaged it will most probably have to be removed. If it is in good condition it can be made safe and either sealed or enclosed to prevent any damage. This work should be carried out by a licensed contractor. Areas of asbestos should be clearly labelled and noted within your asbestos register. Any worker or contractors that you have are made aware of its presence. If you do not label asbestos you must still inform anyone who is carrying out maintenance work about asbestos being present prior to their start of work so that they can take the necessary precautions.

Do you offer 'Supply & Fit' services?
Yes, we offer a range of services. We can supply and install for you, we are also able to fit out your own client supplied furniture/kitchens etc. Alternatively we are happy to work with you to design bespoke items tailored to your requirements and needs.

Is your work guaranteed?
Yes, all of our work is covered under our one year workmanship guarantee. All materials which we supply are also covered under manufacturers guarantees.

Do you have sample designs I can choose from?
We feature examples of previous work on our website but we have access to a range of catalogues and samples you can look through to decide the right design for yourself. We can also work off your own drawings/photos/pictures or we can come up with something bespoke to suit your requirements.


I am a Landlord / Own a Holiday let how often should I get my gas checked?
Landlords who have gas heating or any gas appliances are required to get them checked annually, or at the beginning of a new tenancy.

What Gas/Oil appliances can you service?
We offer maintenance, repairs and servicing of LPG, natural gas and oil appliances – cookers, hobs, gas fires and boilers. We also service air source heat pumps (ASHP).

I Smell Gas, What should I do?
Open doors and windows, do not introduce any naked flames including matches, lighters, cigarettes and candles. Don't turn on or off any electrical appliances or switches. Turn off your gas at the meter control valve if safe to do so and exit the premises. Immediately call the Gas Emergency Freephone number 0800 111 999. Ensure any repairs or investigations are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Do you deal with private water supplies?
Yes, our engineers have experience with private supplies, hill supplies, bore holes as well as water from the mains.

RW Bell Building Services


Domestic, Commercial and Industrial Electrical Services offered by RW Bell


Domestic, commercial and industrial plumbing and heating services.


From minor repairs to full renovation projects


We offer a comprehensive and state of the art audio visual and networking service


Install your own renewable technology

EV car charge

Approved Electric Vehicle Car Charge Point Installers