Mechanical ventilation and extraction

There are a number of systems which can be apopted to provide extraction and ventilation including, Mechanical Extraction Ventilation (MEV), Decentralised Mechanical Extraction Ventilation (dMEV), standard ventilation and Mechanical Ventilation Heat Recovery (MVHR). 

Mechanical Ventilation Heat Recovery (MVHR)

MVHR is a complete property ventilation system. It works by supplying and extracting air throughout a property.  As building standards have risen, buildings are now more insulated and weather proof, and they are intentionally being designed to be air tight, thus the requirement for a suitable ventilation system.

Section 6 of The Building (Scotland) Regulations 2004 Act “every building must be designed and constructed in such a way that… the ventilating and cooling systems are designed, installed, and capable of being controlled to achieve optimum energy efficiency.” – Sect 6.6.

While opening a window does provide a form of ventilation, it is mainly extraction where the building's heat and humidity are lost in cooler temperatures and gained in warmer weather, which can be an undesirable result and not energy efficient. MHRV introduces fresh air to a building and improves climate control, whilst promoting efficient energy use.  It works by installing a heat recovery unit within the building and linking all rooms via a system of ducting. Air is then extracted from wet rooms such as the bathroom whilst drawing in fresh air from outside.

The heat from the extracted air is recovered using a heat exchanger within the unit. This heat is then reused to warm the filtered fresh air coming in through the unit from outside and is used to heat the dry rooms such as bedrooms and living rooms.


01796 472263
Your questions answered
Q How frequently should I get my electrics tested?
If you are the homeowner and it is not a rental property it is suggested every 10 years, however if you have any concerns seek professional advice
Q I am a Landlord / own a Holiday let how often should I get my electrics tested?

If you are the homeowner and it is not a rental property it is suggested every 10 years, however if you have any concerns seek professional advice

Q I am a Landlord how many smoke alarms do I need?

Landlords are require to put a smoke detector on every storey of a rental property and a CO detector in every room where there is a working fireplace or solid fuel appliance.

Q What is PAT testing, and do I need to do it?

PAT testing stands for Portable Appliance Testing it refers to anything electrical in your property which can be unplugged and moved. Eg. Fridge, hair dryer, printer, phone charger, juicer etc. It is suggested that PAT testing is carried out annually in all work places, holiday lets, residential lets, hotels, etc.

Q What is the difference between and Electrical Installation Certificate and an Electrical Installation Condition Report?

An Electrical Installation certificate is done for a new installation or an addition, an Electrical Installation Condition Report is a report on the current wiring in a building without making any alterations to it mainly to check on its “condition”.

Q How many Sockets are required in a bedroom of an HMO property?

A standard bedroom should have a minimum of 3 sockets, although we would always suggest that the 3 sockets should be fitted as twin, giving the user more flexibility and preventing the likelihood of using dangerous extensions. In other parts of the house, socket numbers can vary depending on room size and function. If you have any further questions call the office 01796 472263

Q Do I need to use RCD protection on any of my circuits?

Yes, under BS7671 IEE Wiring Regulations all socket outlets are required to be protected by a 30mA RCD. This acts as a safety mechanism in case of an accident the RCD automatically shuts off the power.

Q Do I require Emergency Lighting?
The simple answer if you have a commercial or industrial property, then yes. BS 5266 enforces the provision of emergency lighting for public buildings such as: Leisure centres, Theatres, Cinemas, Nightclubs/Pubs, Hotels/Restaurants, Retail stores There is also a legal requirement that every workplace should have suitable and sufficient emergency lighting and that suitable and sufficient emergency lighting shall be provided and maintained in any room in which persons at work are specifically exposed to danger in the event of failure of artificial lighting.
Q Why is it important to maintain power and wiring devices with a property?

It is important to be compliant with health and safety regulations and make sure that any wiring or power device within a property meets with the most current regulations. By maintaining wiring, distribution boards etc. it also ensures peace of mind. By checking and maintaining power systems within our property we reduce the risk of overloading devices, fire risks, making sure wiring is safe and no items are obsolete or pose any risk.

Q What is an RCD and what are the benefits?

An RCD is a residual current device designed to protect against electrocution and electrical fires but cutting of the power supply when it senses a leakage of an electrical current from a circuit. An RCD monitors electric currents in one or more circuits or in an individual item by monitoring the live and neutral wires. These two wires normally have an equal value but if a fault occurs and the electricity it is monitoring changes to a different path this would trigger the RCD to switch off the electricity automatically. For example, cutting through a cable with a power tool, providing the power tool was plugged into a socket or a circuit which was RCD protected the power would switch off and eliminate the chances of injury from electrocution. RCD protection also offer protection against electrical fires.

Q Where can you have RCD protection?
The main form of RCD protection is in your consumer unit. The number of circuits being protected can vary and be altered to suit your needs when an installation is being carried out. You may only want to RCD protect your downstairs circuits. You can also get RCD protected plug in sockets than are transportable, you can plug them in to any socket in your house, offering you protection whenever and wherever you need it, or you can have an external socket made RCD so you are always protected when using any gardening equipment.
More Electrical services
Everything we use within our home or business on a daily basis requires power to function. This can range...
Lighting plays an integral part in our daily lives and often does not receive the recognition that it deserves....
Electric heating is an ideal choice for heating a closed space, as it can be controlled easily with an...
Emergency Lighting
Emergency lighting are light fittings which contain a battery back up or are connected to a central power supply.  Emergency...
Fire Alarms
Having a fire alarm system in your house or property should be one of the most important things you...
Portable Appliance Testing
Recent changes in legislation now require that the following category of appliances require to be tested at regular intervals,...
Fixed Wire Testing
All our electrical inspecting and testing are carried out to the most up to date IEE wiring regulations. We are...
Frost Protection
What is Frost protection and trace heating

Frost protection or trace heating involve protecting certain areas in or around the...
EV Car Charging
Approved Electric Vehicle Car Charge Point Installers
Accredited by the Governments Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) and listed as...