Power Installations

Electrical Installations to current wiring regulations, designed to last

Everything we use within our home or business on a daily basis requires power to function. This can range from consumer units to socket outlets.

What we can help with:

  •     Switchgear - Consumer Units and Distribution Boards
  •     RCD protection
  •     Full Electrical Installations – new builds, renovations and extensions
  •     Wiring – Partial / full rewires
  •     Additional power points – sockets, switches and fittings
  •     Electrical repairs & maintenance
  •     Fault finding and rectification
  •     Earthing and bonding upgrades
  •     Appliance installation – integrated appliances and workshop machinery
  •     Jobbing Work
  •     Inspection, testing and certification

All our work is carried out to the 17th Edition Wiring Regulations and is compliant with Scottish Building Regulations and Standards. We have registered and approved accreditation from Select, NICEIC, MCS and CLE for our Electrical services.

01796 472263
Your questions answered
Q How frequently should I get my electrics tested?

If you are the homeowner and it is not a rental property it is suggested every 10 years, however if you have any concerns seek professional advice.

Q I am a Landlord / own a Holiday let how often should I get my electrics tested?

Landlords or Holiday Home owners are required to get properties electrics tested every 5 years as standard. However if you are a landlord you are also required to carry out a visual inspection at the beginning of a new tenancy which does not have to be carried out by a qualified electrician.

Q I am a Landlord how many smoke alarms do I need?

Landlords are require to put a smoke detector on every storey and principal habitable room (i.e. kitchen and living room) of a rental property. A CO detector is required in any room where there is a working fireplace or solid fuel appliance.

Q What is PAT testing, and do I need to do it?

PAT testing stands for Portable Appliance Testing it refers to anything electrical in your property which can be unplugged and moved. Eg. Fridge, hair dryer, printer, phone charger, juicer etc. It is suggested that PAT testing is carried out annually in all work places, holiday lets, residential lets, hotels, etc.

Q What is the difference between an Electrical Installation Certificate and an Electrical Installation Condition Report?
  • An Electrical Installation Certificate is carried out for all new installations or an alteration or additions to an existing electrical installation.
  • An Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) is a report on the current condition of your fixed electrical installation as compared to the current IEE Wiring Regulations.
Q How many Sockets are required in a bedroom of an HMO property?

A standard bedroom should have a minimum of 3 sockets, although we would always suggest that the 3 sockets should be fitted as twin, giving the user more flexibility and preventing the likelihood of using dangerous extensions. In other parts of the house, socket numbers can vary depending on room size and function. If you have any further questions contact us.

Q Do I need to use RCD protection on any of my circuits?

Yes, under BS7671 IEE Wiring Regulations all circuits are recommended to be protected by a 30mA RCD in most domestic situations. Please contact us if you require any further information.

Q Do I require Emergency Lighting?

The simple answer if you have a commercial or industrial property, then yes. BS 5266 enforces the provision of emergency lighting for public buildings such as: Leisure centres, Theatres, Cinemas, Nightclubs/Pubs, Hotels/Restaurants, Retail stores There is also a legal requirement that every workplace should have suitable and sufficient emergency lighting and that suitable and sufficient emergency lighting shall be provided and maintained in any room in which persons at work are specifically exposed to danger in the event of failure of artificial lighting.

Q Why is it important to maintain power and wiring devices within a property?

It is important to be compliant with health and safety regulations and make sure that any wiring or power device within a property meets with the most current regulations. By maintaining wiring, distribution boards etc. it also ensures peace of mind. By checking and maintaining power systems within our property we reduce the risk of overloading devices, fire risks, making sure wiring is safe and no items are obsolete or pose any risk.

Q What is an RCD and what are the benefits?

An RCD is a Residual Current Device, designed to protect against electrocution and electrical fires by cutting off the supply of power when it senses a leakage of an electrical current from a circuit. An RCD monitors electric currents in one or more circuits or in an individual item by monitoring the live and neutral wires. These two wires normally have an equal value but if a fault occurs and the electricity it is monitoring changes to a different path this would trigger the RCD to switch off the electricity automatically. For example, cutting through a cable with a power tool, providing the power tool was plugged into a socket or a circuit which was RCD protected the power would switch off and eliminate the chances of injury from electrocution. RCD protection also offer protection against electrical fires.

Q Where can you have RCD protection?

The main form of RCD protection is in your consumer unit. The number of circuits being protected can vary and be altered to suit your needs when an installation is being carried out.

More Electrical services
Lighting plays an integral part in our daily lives and often does not receive the recognition that it deserves....
Electric heating is an ideal choice for heating a closed space, as it can be controlled easily with an...
Emergency Lighting
Emergency lighting are light fittings which contain a battery back up or are connected to a central power supply.  Emergency...
Fire Alarms
Having a fire alarm system in your house or property should be one of the most important things you...
Portable Appliance Testing
Recent changes in legislation now require that the following category of appliances require to be tested at regular intervals,...
Fixed Wire Testing
All our electrical inspecting and testing are carried out to the most up to date IEE wiring regulations. We are...
Frost Protection
What is Frost protection and trace heating

Frost protection or trace heating involve protecting certain areas in or around the...
There are a number of systems which can be apopted to provide extraction and ventilation including, Mechanical Extraction Ventilation...
EV Car Charging
Approved Electric Vehicle Car Charge Point Installers
Accredited by the Governments Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) and listed as...