Lighting Installations

General, decorative, feature, task lighting

Lighting plays an integral part in our daily lives and often does not receive the recognition that it deserves. When used correctly lighting can produce spectacular effects, creating an atmosphere both internally and externally.

Lighting can help to create character in what could be considered a plain room, it can serve a purpose and offer functionality, create illusions of space and alter the entire ambiance of a place which in turn can alter the mood and our mind set.

  • General Lighting
  • Task Lighting
  • Decorative Lighting
  • Feature Lighting

We can offer full lighting designs including specialist designs, bespoke lighting and general lighting for any type of property, garden or space. We carry out full lighting installations, commissioning, maintenance and testing.

External Lighting

Examples of External lighting can be illuminating pathways outside your house, garages, steps, bin stores. There are many forms of control, the two most common being via a solar dial time clock or a PIR sensor (passive infrared sensor) which is activated via movement, which turns lights on automatically. This type of lighting provides a practical and safe lighting mechanism for a variety of situations it also acts as an additional security measure.

Low Energy Lighting

There have been huge advances in technology allowing more efficient low energy light bulbs (lamps) to be manufactured.  This has lead to pphasing out old incandescant lamps. We can offer advice about the most suitable energy efficient lamp to use in your property to suit your budget and requirements.

Whilst an initial set up cost may appear high they are a quality investment, reducing operating costs and maintenance whilst lowering your energy bills.


01796 472263
Your questions answered
Q How frequently should I get my electrics tested?

If you are the homeowner and it is not a rental property it is suggested every 10 years, however if you have any concerns seek professional advice

Q I am a Landlord / own a Holiday let how often should I get my electrics tested?

Landlords or Holiday Home owners are required to get properties electrics tested every 5 years as standard. But if you are a landlord you are also required to get them tested at the beginning of any new tenancy.

Q I am a Landlord how many smoke alarms do I need?

Landlords are require to put a smoke detector on every storey of a rental property and a CO detector in every room where there is a working fireplace or solid fuel appliance.

Q What is PAT testing, and do I need to do it?

PAT testing stands for Portable Appliance Testing it refers to anything electrical in your property which can be unplugged and moved. Eg. Fridge, hair dryer, printer, phone charger, juicer etc. It is suggested that PAT testing is carried out annually in all work places, holiday lets, residential lets, hotels, etc.

Q What is the difference between and Electrical Installation Certificate and an Electrical Installation Condition Report?

An Electrical Installation certificate is done for a new installation or an addition, an Electrical Installation Condition Report is a report on the current wiring in a building without making any alterations to it mainly to check on its “condition”.

Q How many Sockets are required in a bedroom of an HMO property?

A standard bedroom should have a minimum of 3 sockets, although we would always suggest that the 3 sockets should be fitted as twin, giving the user more flexibility and preventing the likelihood of using dangerous extensions. In other parts of the house, socket numbers can vary depending on room size and function. If you have any further questions call the office 01796 472263

Q Do I need to use RCD protection on any of my circuits?

Yes, under BS7671 IEE Wiring Regulations all socket outlets are required to be protected by a 30mA RCD. This acts as a safety mechanism in case of an accident the RCD automatically shuts off the power.

Q Do I require Emergency Lighting?
The simple answer if you have a commercial or industrial property, then yes. BS 5266 enforces the provision of emergency lighting for public buildings such as: Leisure centres, Theatres, Cinemas, Nightclubs/Pubs, Hotels/Restaurants, Retail stores There is also a legal requirement that every workplace should have suitable and sufficient emergency lighting and that suitable and sufficient emergency lighting shall be provided and maintained in any room in which persons at work are specifically exposed to danger in the event of failure of artificial lighting.
Q Why is it important to maintain power and wiring devices with a property?
It is important to be compliant with health and safety regulations and make sure that any wiring or power device within a property meets with the most current regulations. By maintaining wiring, distribution boards etc. it also ensures peace of mind. By checking and maintaining power systems within our property we reduce the risk of overloading devices, fire risks, making sure wiring is safe and no items are obsolete or pose any risk.
Q What is an RCD and what are the benefits?

An RCD is a residual current device designed to protect against electrocution and electrical fires but cutting of the power supply when it senses a leakage of an electrical current from a circuit. An RCD monitors electric currents in one or more circuits or in an individual item by monitoring the live and neutral wires. These two wires normally have an equal value but if a fault occurs and the electricity it is monitoring changes to a different path this would trigger the RCD to switch off the electricity automatically. For example, cutting through a cable with a power tool, providing the power tool was plugged into a socket or a circuit which was RCD protected the power would switch off and eliminate the chances of injury from electrocution. RCD protection also offer protection against electrical fires.

Q Where can you have RCD protection?

The main form of RCD protection is in your consumer unit. The number of circuits being protected can vary and be altered to suit your needs when an installation is being carried out. You may only want to RCD protect your downstairs circuits. You can also get RCD protected plug in sockets than are transportable, you can plug them in to any socket in your house, offering you protection whenever and wherever you need it, or you can have an external socket made RCD so you are always protected when using any gardening equipment.

More Electrical services
Everything we use within our home or business on a daily basis requires power to function. This can range...
Electric heating is an ideal choice for heating a closed space, as it can be controlled easily with an...
Emergency Lighting
Emergency lighting are light fittings which contain a battery back up or are connected to a central power supply.  Emergency...
Fire Alarms
Having a fire alarm system in your house or property should be one of the most important things you...
Portable Appliance Testing
Recent changes in legislation now require that the following category of appliances require to be tested at regular intervals,...
Fixed Wire Testing
All our electrical inspecting and testing are carried out to the most up to date IEE wiring regulations. We are...
Frost Protection
What is Frost protection and trace heating

Frost protection or trace heating involve protecting certain areas in or around the...
There are a number of systems which can be apopted to provide extraction and ventilation including, Mechanical Extraction Ventilation...
EV Car Charging
Approved Electric Vehicle Car Charge Point Installers
Accredited by the Governments Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) and listed as...